Since living in England, I’ve gotten quite a hankering for shepherd’s pie! 😉 This healthy spin on your traditional shepherd’s pie recipe is by making it with mashed cauliflower. This Mashed Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie is filling, low-carb, gluten-free, paleo and most importantly–delicious! It’s also quick to make.
If you’ve made mashed cauliflower before, you know it is as flavorful as mashed potatoes and it makes a great combo with the filling as well.
1 head Cauliflower (chopped into florets)
2 tbsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
1 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 2 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1 lb Lean Ground Turkey, Chicken or Beef
- 3 cups Mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 Carrots (diced)
- 2 Stalks Celery (diced)
- While the cauliflower is boiling, heat half of the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, cook for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the meat, and cook until browned.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots, celery, Italian seasoning, and salt. Continue to cook for a few minutes, until the meat is cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Drain the cauliflower and discard cooking water. Return the cauliflower to the pot and add the other half of the olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Mash well until the cauliflower becomes almost like a puree.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a casserole or pie dish and distribute into an even layer. Top with the cauliflower mash and spread it evenly across the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the oven to a low broil and broil for 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and serve. Enjoy!
For a vegan/vegetarian version add lentils instead of ground meat!