Feeling overwhelmed? Low on energy? A lot of us could benefit from supporting our adrenal glands.
The adrenal glands are two glands that sit on top of the kidneys. They are made up of the adrenal cortex and the adrenal medulla. The cortex is the outer part of the gland which produces hormones that are vital to life, such as cortisol which helps regulate metabolism and helps your body respond to stress and aldosterone which helps control blood pressure. The medulla is the inner part of the gland which produces hormones, such as adrenaline which helps your body react to stress.
Adrenal fatigue is caused by chronic stress. When your adrenal glands cannot keep up with the demands of everyday fight-or-flight arousal, they can’t produce enough of the hormones you need to feel good. Existing blood tests can detect adrenal insufficiency once it’s already been burned out; your body can detect it much sooner.
Signs and symptoms of adrenal insufficiency may include: Fatigue, body aches, unexplained weight loss or gain, low blood pressure, lightheadedness, thinning hair, insomnia and skin discoloration.
Thankfully, by putting yourself first and eating food as medicine, you can balance your hormones naturally.
The adrenal healing cocktail is a wonderful drink that will help your adrenals become more balanced. For healing and balancing, drink the cocktail in the morning and 1 other time throughout the day. This will keep your blood sugar balanced and your thyroid fed.
- 6 oz fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 oz organic coconut cream
- 2 tbsp pasture raised collagen
- 1 tbsp food based vitamin c powder
- ½ tsp Himalayan pink salt
Using a blender, blend everything up into a yummy creamcicle. I like to drink it as is, but you could pour into Popsicle molds and freeze- kids love it!
- Fresh squeezed orange juice is high in folate which supports adrenal-fatigue induced depression. It also provides the liver with enough glucose it needs to regenerate while giving quick carbs to the thyroid so it can better work to regulate metabolism.
- Collagen is loaded with amino acids, which are the building blocks for health. It is also helpful for thickening the intestinal mucosa (thin gut lining contributes to thyroid and adrenal disorders).
- Organic coconut cream provides the essential immune-boosting, brain supporting fat that will also slow the release of glucose in the orange juice to provide balanced blood sugar.
- Himalayan pink salt contains all 84 essential trace minerals that the adrenals and the nervous system need to function properly. It is also alkaline-forming so it helps support the body’s natural detoxification process.